Managing physical Abreactions

Has anyone here worked with a client who exhibited extreme physical agitation or abreactive responses during sessions? How did you manage it?

I have a client who has been experiencing intense physical restlessness, which has gradually decreased with each session. Sometimes, the client becomes sleepy or enters a trance state, where they claim everything is perfect, peaceful, and fine. I’ve been able to complete progressive relaxation, visualization, and happy memories age regression with them. However, during moments of leading the client from one memory to another, they often encounter blockages, like a fog or a road of bricks, with nowhere to go. This leads to physical symptoms such as itching, pains, and headaches. Clients physical symptoms do not match his verbal Expressions.

Interestingly, the client has met their “masters” in the process but remains in denial about the possibilities this presents. We have one more session planned for Past Life Regression Therapy (PLRT), and I’ve advised the client to meditate before the session.

I would appreciate any insights or similar experiences you’ve had with managing such intense physical and emotional responses during therapeutic sessions. What strategies or approaches have worked for you?

5 Likes

These are all signs of resistance. I think making client more comfortable even before induction can help. If need be, take a session just focusing on relaxation, many times clients are unconsciously concerned about what may crop up while exploring past life.
For this, we can use more of imagination and visualization (eg, we may suggest to keep walking through the fog if it still persist).
After a prolonged BRV, try to explore past life. Hope this may be of some help :innocent:

6 Likes

As Siddhi said, the client does not want to go forward in time because the unconscious is already anticipating painful scenes.

We should start with the outer shell, encouraging the patient to re-live less charged and more recent experiences rather than the intense ones. Venu always gives the example of an onion: we have to start from the outer layer and reach the core. Ensure all the traumatic events of the current life are reframed . A strong rapport with the client will help here, as clients feel their therapist is there to take care of the difficult situations. Weather the client is tapping into past lives or constructing metaphors, emotion can be felt into the body, it may be the possible reason for the abreaction. Deepening techniques can be used in an effort to help the client identify maximally with the role he is playing. BRV should be used to minimize the abreaction. Hope this helps.

Regards
Ashish

5 Likes

Totally agree with @siddhi…as more the client is relaxed more chances of him/her to get in trance easily …coz this helps in decluttering the space and creating a clearer channel for subconscious to communicate…making the regression process smoother and more effective.

5 Likes

My client showed extreme abreaction in first past life…body cringed; facial expression showed pain, he was speaking/uttering words with a weird pull of the tongue…
I tried relaxing him …assuring him that it was not happening to him at the moment…he was safe and protected…he slowly eased into this trance again

5 Likes

Thank you all. It was all day session
All we did was relaxation and body scan for 3/4th of the day. He did come through but more to be tapped hoping Masters will assist me to help him emerge in the last session. Namaste

2 Likes

I would use stages to make the client feel at ease that it is going to be easy. That would work upon the actual resistance of the conscious mind and help the client get into a trance. Happy moments could be the key to the bigger picture

1 Like