PLRT Session Report: From Struggle to Support: A Journey of Learning to Ask for Help

Client’s name: Anita (name changed to protect privacy)
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Hypnotizability score: 7/10
Dominant sense (V/A/K): V5, A4, K6 (Kinesthetic)
Eye roll score: 3
Distress level before the guided work: Approximately 8/10 for the theme of struggle
Distress level after the guided work: Approximately 4/10, estimated by Anita in a later conversation

Background and presenting concern

Anita described growing up in a family where women were expected to marry and have children, while their education and ambitions received little encouragement. She was a quiet, introverted child, but she had big dreams and wanted to build a life beyond those expectations. She felt that her aspirations were not taken seriously. She also described one sibling as repeatedly undermining her while appearing to be supportive.

As an adult, Anita has pursued her goals but has experienced several painful setbacks. She feels that she has had to struggle more than others and that, whenever she faces something new, there is no one to support her. When we first discussed the focus for the work, we chose her sense of helplessness—the feeling that no one is there to help her. She rated its intensity at above 8.

Session 1 — Preparation and discussion

18 September 2026,

Because Anita is my friend, I already knew much of her background. We completed the initial stages of discussion and preparation in approximately one hour. I explained the process to her and played “The Great Bell Chant” before beginning the guided work.

Session 2 — First guided session

18 September 2026

I began with a Dave Elman induction, progressive relaxation, a ball of light visualization, a garden visualization, and an invitation to recall happy moments. Anita identified getting her new job as a recent happy moment, but she did not bring up earlier happy memories.

I then guided her through a cliff visualization. I invited her to imagine placing difficulties from her past and present in a steel box and throwing it off the cliff. She did not report feeling a significant shift afterward, so I brought her back and closed the session.

My reflection: This was my first time facilitating a session. I felt self-conscious, uncomfortable, and less grounded than I wanted to be. I had not meditated or prayed beforehand, which are part of how I prepare myself. I had the impression that Anita was not engaging deeply with the guided work, although I cannot determine her trance depth from that impression alone. We decided to rest and try again the next day.

Session 3 — Revisiting helplessness

19 September 2026

I began with a prayer to the higher forces and the Masters. I felt more grounded and confident as I started. We continued with helplessness as the focus, using induction, progressive relaxation, and guided imagery. I again invited Anita to recall happy moments, but she did not bring up earlier memories.

During this session, Anita mentioned seeing someone she could not identify in the garden visualisation. The person did not speak. I had the impression that she was finding it difficult to engage further with the exercise, so I brought her back and ended the guided portion.

Afterward, I spoke with Anita again about what she was experiencing. Through that discussion, I felt that helplessness might not be the most useful starting theme. We identified another recurring feeling: that she has to struggle more than other people, along with anger about that struggle. Anita said this felt less intense than helplessness, though she gave it a rating of approximately 8. We agreed to explore that theme in the fourth session.

Session 4

19 September 2026

For this session, Anita asked for imagery involving water because she did not feel drawn to gardens. I guided her through relaxation and into a place I called the Water Sanctuary. She appeared more at ease there.

With the feeling of struggle and the anger connected to it as our focus, I invited Anita to cross a bridge. She crossed it, but could not see anything. I then guided her back to the Water Sanctuary and asked whether she could see anyone there. She described a masculine presence who seemed helpful. She later identified this presence as her guide.

I invited Anita to cross the bridge again, but she said she did not want to. I remembered Dr. Venu’s guidance to avoid asking “why,” as it might bring a client out of trance. At that moment, however, I felt I needed to understand what had happened, so I asked her why. Anita explained that crossing the bridge had been difficult and that her shoulders had hurt.

I suggested that she ask the presence in the Water Sanctuary for help. Anita initially refused. When I asked why, she said, “I don’t want to be a burden.” I invited her to ask and see whether he was willing to help. In her visualization, she asked, and he said yes.

They then crossed the bridge together. Anita later described being carried by the guide and enjoying the crossing. With his help, she was able to look around and take in the scenery.

On the other side, Anita saw rocky terrain. She did not describe moving further. During the guided portion, she quietly said “trust” and then said that nobody had trusted her in her past. I guided her back to the Water Sanctuary and brought the session to a close.

My reflection: Asking “why” twice differed from the guidance I had received in training by Dr. Venu. However, in this session, the questions helped me understand what Anita was experiencing: first the physical difficulty she associated with the bridge, and then her reluctance to burden someone by asking for help. Going forward, I would use a more open invitation, such as “What makes it difficult to cross?” or “What comes up when you think about asking him?”

Integration after Session 4

In our conversation afterward, Anita explained that the rocky terrain had seemed to keep moving while I asked questions, which left her feeling unbalanced. She also recalled hugging the guide and hearing him tell her that no one had trusted her when she was a child, and that this was connected to her sense of struggle. She said this felt true to her, although she had not recognised the connection before.

We discussed the moment when she did not want to ask the guide for help because she feared being a burden. Anita reflected that she often tries to do everything on her own and does not readily ask for help, including the divine help she believes may be available to her. She said she wanted to practise asking for help when she felt stuck.

Anita could not give a distress rating immediately after the session. She said she felt better and that the experience had helped her understand something about herself. She also said she had enjoyed the session.

This first case taught me the value of revisiting the focus when the initial theme does not seem to help the client engage. Anita’s preference for the Water Sanctuary also appeared to make the imagery more accessible to her. The most meaningful moment for both of us was her hesitation to ask for help, followed by her experience of crossing the bridge with support.

Integration and follow-up

After the session, Anita and I discussed her reluctance to ask the guide for help because she did not want to be a burden. We connected this with the times in her life when she has felt alone and believed she had to manage everything herself.

I suggested that, when she feels stuck, she could ask the divine for help. I had offered her similar advice as a friend before the session, but this time it seemed to resonate more deeply with her. Anita reflected on moments when she had felt alone and said she now felt she could ask for divine help and be open to receiving it. I felt that experiencing help during the visualization had made this message more meaningful to her than hearing the advice alone.

When I spoke with Anita a few days later, she rated her sense of struggle at 4 out of 10, compared with approximately 8 out of 10 before Session 4. She said she felt better and wanted me to help her friends and cousin as well. Her response left me feeling that the session had been valuable to her.

I know she wasn’t able to view any past life but perhaps the lessons were embedded in this lifetime. Or perhaps I need more practice (this is for certain). Looking forward to taking up more cases soon! All the best to me!

3 Likes

This should be the spirit :heart: you are doing better than you think, you got this @sendia1987 Diya! Take one step at a time, you don’t have to have everything figured out right now. I liked the way you acknowledged and corrected instantly- selection of theme and other aspects of the sessions. Keep going, it will be all part of learning and understanding.

2 Likes

@sendia1987 congratulations on your 1st case

In my understanding,this is part of 3rd session.Happy memories were to be followed up with closures

At this stage,I feel you could have checked if she slept and hence wasnt focusing or did she show signs of resistence. Had you discussed IMR before starting the session?

Innovative to cater to client’s need…very nice

@sendia1987 was this during the session? if yes,the pain in the shoulder could have been explored further.

Was there a possibility to explore this further?

@sendia1987 Integration was done well.

Good wishes for your future cases

1 Like

Congratulations, Diya, on completing your very first PLR case report! :heart: :clap:

This case report is a wonderful illustration of adaptive, client-centered hypnotherapy. You demonstrated impressive clinical intuition throughout the process—especially when adapting the guided imagery from a garden to a Water Sanctuary to match Anita’s personal comfort, and when shifting the focus from initial helplessness to the underlying anger and struggle.

The turning point in Session 4—where Anita hesitated to ask her guide for assistance out of fear of being a burden—was a profound therapeutic breakthrough. Experiencing supported bridge-crossing within the trance state allowed Anita to embody what receiving help feels like, transforming an abstract concept into a visceral, lived experience. While asking “why” during trance is generally discouraged, you used those insights thoughtfully in post-session integration to connect Anita’s reluctance to seek help with her childhood pattern of self-reliance. The drop in Anita’s distress rating from an 8/10 to a 4/10, alongside her newfound openness to reaching out, is clear evidence of meaningful progress—proving that powerful core-belief resolution can occur even without a classic past-life recall.

Your self-awareness, reflective practice, and willingness to adapt to your client’s needs show great clinical sensitivity and dedication. You handled every challenge with care, grace, and deep empathy. Wishing you all the very best as you take on your future cases—you are off to a fantastic start! :sparkling_heart: :dizzy: :collision:

2 Likes

Thank you, Harmeet!! I really need this pep talk! :grinning_face:

1 Like

You are most welcome Diya! Always here to cheer. It’s challenging the first time but do review and read all the suggestions by other therapists. With practice and time it does get better just keep going and be open to all possibilities. We are together in this, correcting, encouraging and supporting each other. You presented the case report honestly so thats one battle won, being true to yourself and not shying or running away from challenges. It’s shows courage and determination. I’m proud of you :heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much Sreelatha for reviewing my case and for your heartwarming responses!!

1 Like

Thank you so very much for thoroughly reviewing my case. Appreciate all your feedback!!

1 Like

So when she said trust, it was very soft and I asked her what she meant, she said that her guide is saying that as a child no one trusted her and that’s why she struggles so much. It didn’t strike me to explore further as she seemed very satisfied with the answer. Hmmm maybe I should have but didn’t strike me then.

1 Like

Actually she mentioned the pain after the session…that when she visualised crossing the bridge alone, she felt she had to use her whole arms to cross and it pained.

1 Like

Yes, yes, I did IMR! She wasn’t asleep :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually when she didn’t see happy memories, i panicked and did the cliff visualisation. I know that was not the natural path but i panicked hehe. I knew this is generally done in third session and going forward will stick to that!

2 Likes

Thank you so much Harmeet! I have gone through all the suggestions and will definitely keep it in mind going forward. Really appreciate this community with my whole heart and soul :heart:

1 Like

Diya ji, congratulations on completing your first case and, more importantly, thank you for sharing the journey so openly.

What touched me most in your case was not whether a past life was accessed, but the therapeutic movement that happened within the experience itself.

The shift from “I don’t want to be a burden” to asking for help, and then being able to cross the bridge with support, felt particularly meaningful to me. The bridge almost became a living metaphor for something much deeper—the difficulty of receiving support when one has learned to carry everything alone.

कभी-कभी healing का पहला कदम आगे बढ़ना नहीं, बल्कि मदद स्वीकार करना होता है।

I also found your decision to revisit the case theme very interesting. When “helplessness” did not seem to facilitate deeper engagement, you explored the recurring experience of struggle and anger, and that eventually opened another doorway.

Your reflection about asking “why” is also valuable. I appreciate that you have not simply justified it, but have reflected on what you learned and how you might approach the same situation differently next time. That self-observation itself is an important part of becoming a practitioner.

What stayed with me most was the integration afterward—the realisation that asking for help had been difficult because of the fear of becoming a burden, and that experiencing support in the session seemed to give a different meaning to something she had heard before.

शायद PLRT की खूबसूरती हमेशा किसी “past life” को देखने में नहीं होती; कभी-कभी वह वर्तमान जीवन के किसी अनदेखे pattern को नए अर्थ में देखने में होती है।

And I loved your closing line—“perhaps I need more practice (this is for certain).” :blush:
I think that willingness to keep learning, observe oneself and take up the next case with humility is itself a strong beginning.

Congratulations once again, Diya ji Wishing you many more cases, deeper learning and, most importantly, continued curiosity about the process.

All the best for the cases ahead!

:100:

Our lives will be so enriched and easy the day we get the awareness. Specially we women who try to be Super-woman and do it all, at the cost of our mental and physical wellbeing. It’s very important to understand that we are human beings and it’s a very human thing to ask for help and take care of ourselves. Everyone needs a lil TLC :cherry_blossom::folded_hands:t2:

It’s in my blood, perks of being a mom :smiley: motivation first, solution later :smiley: